There are many benefits to helping children and young people mentoring their peers for both the mentors and the mentees, including:
- being mentored by someone of a similar age who understands what you are going through;
- talking to someone independent from the situation;
- developing confidence and communication skills;
- developing listening skills;
- develops problem solving skills;
- encourages reflection;
- teaches skills for the workplace.
The Mentoring School offer a half-day course to organisations, schools, colleges, universities and settings to train them to deliver the 7 module Peer Mentoring Course. There are variants of the course for primary and secondary schools, and for young adults.
The half-day course covers the modules and administration of the course:
- Module 1 – Your setting
- Module 2 – About you
- Module 3 – Managing emotions
- Module 4 – Listening
- Module 5 – Structured conversations
- Module 6 – Organising the team
- Module 7 – Bringing it together
- Marking students workbooks
Young people attending the course will need to complete a section of the course workbook after each module and return this to the organisation delivering the course for marking and award of the certificate.
Places cost just £175 + VAT p.p. and include the first 10 student handbooks. Additional student workboooks are priced at just £3 each.
Our next course is on 17th July from 1pm-4pm at our Southampton offices.
If you are interested in delivering this course in your setting email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.